Current track

6:00 am 10:00 am

Current show

Breakfast

6:00 am 10:00 am

Crowder Red Letters

Written by on 10th November 2018

You’re probably wondering what Red Letters actually means. Well here’s David Crowder to explain everything.

When I was a kid I remember sitting in the church pew next to my grandmother and asking her why some of her bible was written in red. She explained it was the Red Letter edition and whenever Jesus, God’s only Son, spoke, it was written in red. As a kid I thought that was just how God wrote it.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Nope. I was wrong. About this and other things. Turns out it was a guy by the name of Louis Klopsch. It was the late 1800’s and he very much wanted the common man to not only have access to scripture but for the story of God’s reconciliation to jump off the pages as it had for him. At the time, translations such as the King James didn’t use punctuation marks that are common place now. You can imagine how difficult numerous passages could be with the absence of any quotation marks or full stops.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
One evening, he was reading in Luke 22:20, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you,” and that is when Mr. Klopsch had an idea -the words of Jesus in red.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
He didn’t stop there, he and the editors went all the way to the beginning and took any scripture in the old testament foretelling the arrival of a messiah as well as any scriptures that Jesus was quoted as quoting and put them in red as well; a scarlet thread woven through all of time and creation – Crowder.

Reader's opinions
  1. Joanie   On   14th January 2019 at 12:08 pm

HOW TRULY BEAUTIFUL!!! I am so blessed by this song. Cry every time I listen to it,it speaks to my soul. Saved by the precious blood of Jesus, I am a FREE MAN today!!!❤❤❤❤

2. Kathy O'Neil   On   29th January 2019 at 8:51 pm

I love this song. When I hear it I stop what I am doing, and let this song penetrate my soul. At the end I Thank Jesus that I am a free man today!!

3. Patty Beuris   On   9th February 2019 at 4:09 pm

I love this song. It runs thru my head and my heart and makes be burst inside with worship for the amazing gift we have in Jesus Christ.

4. Jeanna   On   28th February 2019 at 1:25 pm

Absolutely beautiful and amazing song I feel the HOLY SPIRIT with each word thank you David Crowder for your wonderful gift that God bless with you with and for sharing it with us God Bless you

5. jimmy   On   12th March 2019 at 1:20 pm

I too was moved the first time i heard it.My cousin had been killed and his mother had said this was a song he really liked. I gave it a listen and it hit hard what Jesus gave us. Thanks Archie for liking this song.

6. Kimberly McCormick   On   17th March 2019 at 7:40 pm

Thank you for the explanation. I love this song and the 1st couple times I heard it I cried like a baby. I love all your music and come as you are was a song I heard every day for 3 weeks before I was baptized. Thank you so very much for helping bring God into my life. I would love to hear you sing he grew the tree

7. Winnie   On   19th March 2019 at 9:59 pm

Thank you for this and other beautiful songs that brought us to our knees about what our Savior King Jesus has done for us on the cross PTL.

8. Raycene Kinsey   On   20th March 2019 at 9:11 am

From the first time I heard this song it touched my soul and still does. Thank you for reminding us of His blood. We are Free.

9. Sheila Moore   On   20th March 2019 at 12:02 pm

I have actually seen Mr. Crowder perform this song twice live. It was amazing. It is truly a wonderful song and it touches my soul deep. If you ever get chance to see him perform live….GO. He is amazing.

10. Ruth E.   On   20th March 2019 at 2:04 pm

This song gives me goose bumps, but I wasn’t sure what red letters meant. I remember red verses as well in my mom’s bible, and now I remember asking her about it. Thank you Dave Crowder for how you inspire me, and making me thankful for Jesus, and what he did for us. I haven’t heard anything from you yet that didn’t have that effect.

11. Jean   On   24th May 2019 at 4:58 pm

Your songs are so POWERFUL!! I had to find out what the red letters were, and it was a oh yeah moment. But your songs put so much into us it’s truly a blessing. Thank you for your powerful messages! My son sings on our worship team and I’m trying to get him to do “The Red Letters “, but he says Crowders songs are awesome, but hard to replicate! SO KEEP IT UP DAVID CROWDER, WE LOVE YOU!